Chain of Custody
FSC, SFI, PEFC Certification
Controlled Wood and Due Diligence Systems
Expert Chain of Custody Assistance & Consultation
Companies who are considering certification to one of the recognized “green” standards for paper and wood products often find the level of detail and complexity of the various programs to be a barrier to participation. It is often necessary to devote significant staff time to evaluating options, deciphering protocols and designing local approaches.
Our services are designed to offer a short-cut through this maze. By utilizing the services of an expert in the field, a company can save staff time, direct and indirect costs, and the time needed for evaluation, implementation and certification of a Chain of Custody system.
MixedWood specializes in expert assistance in the prominent Chain of Custody certification standards now being implemented in the paper and wood product marketplace, including:
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI)
- Programme for Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC)
Related Systems & Programs
MixedWood has been successful in extending our core competency in Chain of Custody into a number of other, related subject areas. Our extensive experience across the wide spectrum of wood-based products and industries, has provided opportunities to serve our clients on a variety of projects.
- Risk-based supply chain analysis for timber legality and Due Diligence
- Second-party supplier program audit preparation & support
- Integration of CoC, CW, and other certification standards into ISO-based management systems
- Coordination and collaboration among supply chain partners to optimize and troubleshoot marketplace challenges
- Development of business systems for new 3rd party standards (e.g. food safety for packaging(SQF))
Almost all the public information about Forestry and Wood Product certification is promotional – somebody trying to convince you that their program is the best, the most credible, the greenest, etc. This makes it very difficult for busy business people to make sensible choices about what is right for their company.
At MixedWood, we don’t do promotion. We have learned, through extensive and hard-won experience that all the programs have strengths and weaknesses. We believe that open and honest dialog about this will improve the whole market, and we have committed to taking and holding a leadership position in this area. See the MixedWood blog for more.
Exploration of Options
Straightforward answers to basic questions, such as
- Do I need a certificate to use use FSC/SFI labels?
- What are the differences between the programs?
- Which one is right for me?
- Which certifier is best?
- What is a credit account?
- How do I explain this to my customer?
- Why doesn’t my supplier follow the rules?
Evaluation of Needs
- Gap Analysis
- A simplified checklist approach to evaluating where you stand
- Highlights of how to utilize existing business systems to conform efficiently to the standard(s)
- An itemized list of “gaps” which point you to the work needed to become certified
Procedure Templates and Documentation
- Integrated into ongoing business practices and operating styles
- Custom drafting and optimization of CoC procedures designed to fit your specific business model
- Record-keeping tools designed to make certification audits smooth and painless
- Detailed work instructions, keyed to CoC procedures, for key roles
- Simplified checklists which track multiple standard requirements from multiple programs in a clear and straightforward style
Implementation and Training
- On-site rollout and testing of the system
- Staff orientation and job-specific training
- Assistance and support for specialized CoC roles (purchasing, record-keeping, receiving etc.)
- On-call telephone and email support to your staff during implementation, certification and ongoing operation of the system
Pre-audit Evaluation – 2nd Party Internal Audit
- A thorough examination of your system, following third-party protocols, prior to the certification audit
- Designed to highlight and isolate weaknesses
- Leading to specific advise and remedy
A Fully Customized Approach
- All of our services are scaled and customized to the individual needs of each client
- Open-ended service contracts are welcomed
- On-going service and personal follow up is guaranteed